Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A little potty talk!


Ok its not what you think people. No trash talk, we are actually going to talk about the potty! I know exciting huh? This post really is not for our family or people who have already been to Ch*na. Its more for the few stragglers who may stop by every now and then who have not been yet to pick up there little bundles of joy! I have been meaning to post for oh almost 6 months now but things have been a little hectic getting used to a VERY active toddler.
So here we go!
Before we went to Ch*na I would hear that they trained their babies very early to use the potty. I also heard horror stories of babies being tied to potties because the nannies did not have time to change so many diapers. I used to joke that since it had taken so LONG for our referral that my baby would be potty trained! Well guess what folks, she pretty much is! At least for #2 anyway!
I remember when we were in Ch*na and waiting for the girls our guide told us they used the potty. I was like "yhea right". So after 3 days with little miss J she had not pooped at all. Of course I had also been told that because of all the stuff going on the babies sometimes got constipated. So on the third morning with no poo I told Rusty we should just sit her on the potty and see what she did. They had the cutest little potty in our room. I'll post a picture!


So I sit her on there and she holds the handles and actually uses the potty!!! I was amazed and even called Rusty in to check it out!(dont worry no pictures of that!)
So after that she was pretty good about using that little duck potty! I did have to change two diapers while we were there. No biggie. I really would not have a problem if she didn't use the potty. Especially since I knew how the orphanages trained them.
So anyway home we go and Jaden pretty much keeps up with the potty. In the almost six months since she has been home I have changed may 10-15 poop diapers. In the last three weeks I have changed 0! Now I will not sit her on the potty if she cries! It is her choice. Now this has been one of the hardest issues we have had since being home. I know most people would love this problem but it comes with its drawbacks. While Jaden loves to "go to the potty", you have to know when she wants to go or you miss your window of opportunity! Jaden will hold it for days if you miss it! Then I know she doesn't feel good cause I mean come on people its not comfortable to be clogged up ya know. So far we have gone 4 days with no luck. I even talked to her doctor because it really bothers me. He said after four days to use the dreaded suppository!!! I also give her prune juice everyday and our new favorite vegetable is corn!!! We are also doing a schedule of when we potty, when we wake up, before nap and before our bath! In Ch*na she was on a schedule and went everyday but coming to the good ol USA messed her up. I think we are starting to get on a schedule which makes for a happy mom and happy baby. I have not had to use the suppository yet, but I did get it out and explained what I was going to have to do to her. And wouldn't ya know it she went to the potty!
Now I do not think Jaden was tied to the potty chair. She was in foster care from day 1 until the day we picked her up. I have been in contact with her foster mother(another post to come soon about this) and have found out alot of info. I also got pictures of a seat she would sit in that could also have something put under it to catch the good stuff if ya know what I mean. This seat is more like a walker without wheels. There were no ties that I saw. I even have a pic. of Jaden sitting in the seat! Jaden also did not have any marks on her that some babies have from being tied to the potty. Now if she had seemed the least bit scared of a potty there would be no way she would have been put on them.
Another thing is that Jaden prefers a big potty to a little girl potty! She will do #1 in a little potty but usually not #2. (good for me cause they are not fun to clean) So for a while I would just hold her on the big potty and wait. That was no fun. I can't tell ya how many times she kinda "fell" into the potty cause my hand slipped. Potty water is cold! But I finally found a little seat to put on the potty. She loves it! That's where we do the big business. I have even found a seat you can fold up and take with you! I am sure many of you know about these good seats but I am a first time mom here and it was news to me!
So that about sums up the potty talk. Having a big girl is kinda nice but it also makes me realize what I missed. I would have liked to have been there when she learned to potty. I would have liked to have changed her first diaper.
So all you soon to be parents be prepared, be very prepared.

PS. we don't always keep our potty in the living room, I decided it was easier to fix her hair today while she was on the potty!

No comments: